Shunryu Suzuki: Study Yourself

Shunryu Suzuki: Study Yourself
The purpose of studying Buddhism is not to study Buddhism. It is to study ourselves.

Thursday, January 03, 2013

Now Reading

When I go to the library, I rarely have a book in mind.  I wander through the new fiction, browse the mystery section, sometimes meander over to the biographies.  Our local library is so small that often when I have a book in mind, it isn't there.  I know I could probably order it, but I'm lazy.

This time, in the New Fiction section I found a book by a writer I've never read.  It was a slow and awkward start, and I don't think that was the writer's fault but my own.  I thought of giving it up, but something urged me to continue.

The book follows the character Stratton Brown as he struggles with earning a living, falling in love, writing his first novel and reconciling his past.

"'This shit life is all we have...just this one life to do whatever we deem necessary...nothing...or everything.  We'll be lied to, sacrificed, forsaken, crossed, let down and betrayed, but if we're lucky, we can be loved, too...And if we're truly lucky we, we might learn to love ourselves.  That's what life is about, taking the good with the bad and somehow going on.'"  Jobie Hughes, At Dawn.
 
How is it that I have the great good fortune to randomly pick up a book that speaks to me so?