Shunryu Suzuki: Study Yourself

Shunryu Suzuki: Study Yourself
The purpose of studying Buddhism is not to study Buddhism. It is to study ourselves.

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Analyze This

my grandmother and her mother, taken by my great Aunt Bigelow, 1911



In my dream I was riding up in an elevator, pulling something viscous and stringy out of my mouth.  I kept pulling and pulling and soon there was quite a pile of disgusting vomit-like substance at my feet.  A woman tried to get on the elevator and I shooed her away, pointing to the mess and holding my nose.

I walked out of the elevator barefoot and my arms were full: carrying shoes, notebooks, jackets, all manner of things.  I was in some sort of commercial mall or office building in a wide and tall lobby filled with light and people.  They identified me as a 'healer' and I didn't know what they were talking about -- I had wandered into this group at random.  They insisted I was sent here to heal, and as I stood there, incredulous, I felt heat rise up from my feet, into my legs and blast through the top of my body.  As this happened, I floated a few feet off the ground and hovered there, for a moment.

When I touched back down they put a child in front of me and asked me to heal him/her.  I didn't know how in the world I was supposed to do this and I felt as if I was going to let these people down.  Then, just as before, a great heat rose in my body and I felt compelled to embrace the child -- I practically covered them in a classic duck and cover pose.

The child was healed.