Shunryu Suzuki: Study Yourself

Shunryu Suzuki: Study Yourself
The purpose of studying Buddhism is not to study Buddhism. It is to study ourselves.

Monday, January 09, 2012

Clean Water For All

I have joined the effort to raise funds for the organization Water.org.

How much do we take the availability of clean water for granted in this country? I know I do.  Turn on a tap, it's there.  Even turn on  your garden hose, it's there.  There is no effort needed.

I used to do a lot of back-packing. Out in the wilderness for up to a week, we sought clean water sources from streams and rivers.  In my short time of back-packing, sources of clean water became more and more scarce.  So, we began to take pills on our trips to drop into our collected water to clean up and render it safe to use.  You do not want to get a water-born illness while backpacking.  Ruins the entire trip and could kill you.  I also remember how utterly delightful the first shower after a trip was.  Hot water cascading over a grimy and tired body.  I understood what a luxury this was.  It was heaven on earth.

I intellectually understand how out of reach this basic resource is for many of the world's population.  But I watched the video and read information about the work of Water.org and it inspired me to do what I could from my comfy place at home in America.



The statistic that more people die of water-born illness than from war rocked me.  The fact that providing clean water to a village actually enables girls to go to school and get an education -- that moved me.  When girls don't have to spend their lives in search of water, and in the transport of that water (on their backs) over miles and miles to and from their villages, they are liberated.

I have just a few days left to raise the $100 that I committed to.  This amount of money will provide 4 of our fellow humans with clean water for lifePlease go to my link and donate.  I have had several friend donate $5 and $10.  That's all it takes, if we all do it.

Thank you very very much!