Shunryu Suzuki: Study Yourself

Shunryu Suzuki: Study Yourself
The purpose of studying Buddhism is not to study Buddhism. It is to study ourselves.

Monday, June 27, 2011

Yin and Yang


I am exquisitely content these days.  

Am I allowed?  Must the spell be broken?  Why do I torture myself with such questions?  Life is, of course, filled with enough angst and tragedy for even the most masochistic among us, so why question when happiness and well-being are present?

It is a common occurrence these days that I will be full-to-bursting with a sense of pleasure while doing just about anything: taking a walk on these city streets, listening to music, grocery shopping for godssake.  The feeling is sometimes accompanied by a physical sensation of electricity running through my body – the “I’m ALIVE!” aha moment. 

Wink wink, the universe just got me.  Life is indeed full of irritants and one just buzzed about my head like a mosquito dive bombing for some blood.  So much for my fear of being too immersed in bliss.  Never worry, the yin and yang will always balance out.