Shunryu Suzuki: Study Yourself

Shunryu Suzuki: Study Yourself
The purpose of studying Buddhism is not to study Buddhism. It is to study ourselves.

Friday, December 17, 2010

Watching the Wheels

Exciting, funny, "new" blog.  She's my kinda gal -- a stand-up comic and a writer.  Woo-hoo!

The post, above,  deals with projecting self-confidence.  One of the many things that struck me was her mention of soliciting articles for the company newsletter.  I used to coordinate the quarterly newsletter at my old job.  It was but one of the many thankless tasks I performed.  This newsletter was "top priority" in the department and I was constantly being "encouraged" to solicit articles, artwork, "uplifting" newsy bits for consumption by the disenfranchised and demoralized people of our department.

Not happy, apparently, with the volume of articles (or lack thereof), my boss instructed me to form a committee to coordinate this effort.  So I did, and now we had 10 people spinning their wheels fruitlessly soliciting articles from people who could care less.  Now I could have more meetings on my schedule, and whip up some enthusiasm within this newsletter committee, and demonstrate my leadership skills by putting out a newsletter the boss could be proud of.  What a good little worker bee I was.

When I retired in June 2009, this top priority, gleaming self-congratulatory newsletter retired as well.  I occasionally go back to the website to see if anyone has picked up the ball on this most-important project.  Care to speculate?  Go here and find out.  Yeah, that's right, I'll pull a Wikileaks.  Right here. Right now.