Shunryu Suzuki: Study Yourself

Shunryu Suzuki: Study Yourself
The purpose of studying Buddhism is not to study Buddhism. It is to study ourselves.

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Politics, Again

As the debate goes on in the House of Representatives about the tax cuts, I read more and more about the plutocracy we have become.  I remember watching Jamie Johnson's The One Percent a couple of months ago, and now I've got his first film, Born Rich on my must watch list.  "...the answer to the question: “Do the Rich Need the Rest of America?” is as stark as it is ominous: Many don’t. As they form their own financial culture increasingly separated from the fate of everyone else, it is “hardly surprising,” Frank and Lind concluded, “ that so many of them should be so hostile to paying taxes to support the infrastructure and the social programs that help the majority of the American people.”  Read more of Bill Moyers' talk.






"Nobel prize winning economist George Akerlof has demonstrated that failure to punish white collar criminals - and instead bailing them out- creates incentives for more economic crimes and further destruction of the economy in the future. Joseph Stiglitz, Professor Black, and many others agree. 
It was largely fraud which brought down the financial system in 2008. Unless we prosecute the fraudsters, they will do even bigger, stupider and more blatantly illegal things in the future which will lead to even bigger crises."  Read full article on Washington's Blog.

Our country has some big messes to clean up.  I am losing hope that we will get to work.  I live in fear of becoming completely disillusioned (I'm almost there).  How does one keep going in the face of overwhelming odds?  How does one find balance and meaning in a culture so profoundly corrupt?  Is it enough to know that minds greater (and more influential) than mine share my concerns and are writing about it?  Will it, someday, finally sink into to the 'average' U.S. citizen's mind that we are on a meaningless roller coaster ride that is completely rigged and will jump the tracks killing us all?

I'm going to visit my parents after Christmas -- you may recall that my dad is a passionate Republican whose latest 'hero' is Glen Beck.  I think I shall go insane if we delve into politics or the media at all.  Perhaps I should just go limp and have a seizure...I know for damned sure that when it's time for Mr. Crazy Pants Beck to air, I will retreat to the guest bedroom and listen to something, anything, to calm my nerves.  Any suggestions?