Shunryu Suzuki: Study Yourself

Shunryu Suzuki: Study Yourself
The purpose of studying Buddhism is not to study Buddhism. It is to study ourselves.

Friday, May 14, 2010

Watch Now

I just discovered this 3-part series from PBS. It's on Netflix instant download. I was riveted. A study of early attachment disorders, the importance of friendships to our very survival, and the oh-so-familiar patterns of romantic love. A must see, really. Can't wait to watch the next episode.

I have been enjoying an active social life these past weeks, and after a period of semi-quiet living, I am delighted by all the great friends I have been visiting with, the sharing of delicious food, listening to music (live!). My heart is full and happy, my blood sugars are better than they've been, and it's a joy to get up each morning. It's all about balance of course, and I do enjoy the down time when it is in balance with social activities. When it's endless down time, it's isolating, and for me that means b-u-m-m-e-r. I crave connection, understanding, shared laughter and sharp debate. "This Emotional Life" episode 1 completely validates these needs - imagine my relief! I'm not a co-dependent freak. Well....