Shunryu Suzuki: Study Yourself

Shunryu Suzuki: Study Yourself
The purpose of studying Buddhism is not to study Buddhism. It is to study ourselves.

Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Elixir of Life

This is the dinner I made last night for my guest Lynn Z. Singer, songwriter, incredible wit and spirit, and someone I knew just little bit in high school. The chicken currie recipe is from "A Year of Slow Cooking" and you can see it here. I made a salad of arugula, granny smith apples, pecans and blue cheese. A lovely counterpoint to the curry.

Regarding the recipe: I used fresh chicken, not frozen, and I added one medium sized sweet potato, peeled and cubed. I also used twice the amount of yogurt at the end because I added a wee too much cayenne. I've never made a red currie before, and I couldn't find the spice garam masala at my regular grocery, so I went to Whole Foods to buy it. The dinner was a hit, and I'll be making this again.

We had a great time, and went to the Ugly Mug to listen to some fantastic music after dinner. Lynn has an incredible voice and we were singing along to a song and her contribution was splendid. The keyboardist came over during the break and they exchanged information. He wants to jam with her. Neat! He gave us each one of his cds. Then, wonder of wonders, I won the raffle at the break and got another cd from a different artist. I also purchased one of Jay Howlett's cds, his newest one "Carnival Lights." Fantastic songs. Check him out.

What a memorable evening. Two weeks in a row of good friends, good food, and amazing music. I'm on a roll.