Shunryu Suzuki: Study Yourself

Shunryu Suzuki: Study Yourself
The purpose of studying Buddhism is not to study Buddhism. It is to study ourselves.

Friday, November 23, 2012

TGIF

Is the cease fire holding?  If so, I am thankful.  The conflict between Israel and Gaza is so complex I can't even get my head around it.  I watched on the news as Palestinians were celebrating the cease fire, and saw a grown man helping his perhaps 5 year old son hold a heavy pistol.  Passing along the great tradition of hate and armed resistance.

I am grateful today for all the good-intentioned among us.  Those who follow the path of peace and loving our neighbors, and doing the right thing.  Those who are wise and not foolish.

I am inspired by those who devote their lives uplifting fellow human beings - the aid workers, the doctors in the fields of battle, the peace workers, the ones who provide support to the suffering.

And even, those little tiny acts of kindness that seem to be so small.  They are huge to those who receive them.