I'm inspired by my friend Rain to write this post. It is often the case that nothing explodes a stereotype like personal revelation and connection. I was offended, as many of you were, by Romney's comments about the 47% of America that he will never win over -- you know, the liberals, the layabouts, the takers of handouts and such. So, inspired by Rain and her post about what her liberal family looks like, I decided to share a bit about my liberal family - because we are true and good citizens of the United States and we contribute with our efforts and our taxes to our community, our state, our nation. I urge you to post your "What a Liberal Looks Like" story as well.
I come from a white, middle-class, quasi-Christian but mostly agnostic, 2 heterosexual parent family. I enjoyed the benefits of a moderately good public education, and was a high school student in the crazy early to mid 1970s. Witness:
Look at the hippies we were! There I am at the bottom of the shot, sitting with some of my friends and teachers having our lunch. Actually, I was kind of preppy, but I had my hippie outfits, too.
My 2 sisters and I are college graduates, and my sisters also have advanced degrees, so they are super smart and ambitious.
I have supported democratic party candidates, with few exceptions. I have occasionally crossed over when a republican or independent has made sense to me.
I worked for 22 years at a major university, paid taxes, raised my daughter, divorced my husband, married my wife (oops - here comes the real liberal part....) marched in anti-war demonstrations (oops more liberal stuff), paid my taxes, bought a home, sold a home, volunteered in my community and was a troop leader for my daughter's Girl Scout Brownie troop.
What? Not "gimme gimme" enough for you, Mitt?
I retired a few years ago and have a very small pension (I know. Those pushy, grabby pension-seekers). Even though my fixed income is very low, guess what? I still pay income tax! Out of pocket! Crazy, right? I know.
I now have a lovely grandson, thanks to my darling daughter and her stellar husband. She is becoming a teacher, and her husband is a hard-working, tax paying citizen who was an Eagle Scout. Doesn't get more American than that, eh? Those kids were so liberal that they had their son at home -- no hospital for them.
Oh, and my liberal sisters? Lifelong democrats, married homeowners with children and grandchildren of their own. Small business owners (yes, really, we liberals are also business owners and job creators!) and involved in their communities.
We are just one family. And we have a few republican party members, but we tolerate them.
Mr. I-Make-My-Dog-Ride-On-Top-of-My-Car Romney never did have our support. But really, is he so stupid that he risks alienating those on the fence with his ignorant and insensitive remarks about 47% of our country's population?
Don't answer that. We know. We know.

