I made a bad mistake looking at photos of a knee surgery. Get out of my brain, visions!
Tomorrow is the big day: arrive at hospital for a 5:15 a.m. check in and a 7:30 a.m. surgery. While not looking forward to the actual surgery and recovery period, I am quite pleased that I am finally able to replace this knee joint which has been the bane of my existence for several years.
I'll be home on Friday if all goes well, and settle into my first floor apt. There's a lot of preparation that goes into these things: I've got a walker, a commode, picked up the throw rugs, counted how many steps from the car to my bed (so they can PT me adequately to enable me to get into my house). Measured the height of my bed so they can have my hospital bed at the same height so I may practice getting in and out.
Attended a hospital orientation for surgery patients, which was full of good information. Had all my pre-op testing done, and have older sister coming to help out for a few days after my return home. Health Care directive signed and witnessed.
Girlfriend is bringing me her ipad so I can get on-line at hospital. She's also got a great bedside manner and will no doubt manage to make me laugh - a lot. In the months together, I have spent a lot of time in the hospital, and she has always been right at my side. Today, in a small but not insignificant way, I've been able to repay her: she's having a double root canal as I write this. She's under sedation, and started the early morning off with Valium and a completely empty stomach. They let me sit with her as they gave her more drugs, allowing her to sleep gently off to la-la land. She was cracking jokes, she was sweet and mellow. She was letting me soothe her and be with her. It was a nice reversal for a change.
So, now I'm home doing last minute prep for tomorrow, then back up to pick her up when her procedure is done, then get her home, fed and comfy, then pick up her daughter from school, then at some point home again to go to bed early. A busy day -- and that's just fine. It will keep my mind occupied.
Everyone I know who has had joint replacement surgery has been extremely pleased with the results. I am sure I will be as well. Looking forward to getting this thing done!