Shunryu Suzuki: Study Yourself

Shunryu Suzuki: Study Yourself
The purpose of studying Buddhism is not to study Buddhism. It is to study ourselves.

Friday, August 03, 2012

Friday Musings

The boy's first birthday was a blast and he was hilarious plowing into a little cake of his very own that one of his aunties made for him.  The party was definitely for the adults -- no one year old cares or remembers the party.  He napped through the first hour of it.

I spent most of my time talking and eating with my ex-husband (my daughter's father) and his ex-girlfriend (who I went to college with).  The passage of time has brought healing and even humor to us.  He snapped a photo of J. and me, and she quipped, "Portrait of the Exes!"  And I quipped, "Ah, yes, his Harem."  And he laughed.

Met this fellow, James, who was on American Idol one season ago.  He's a Santa Cruz local, and a friend of my daughter's.  He was at the party with his wife and 4 year old son.  Nice guy, loving daddy, just a regular rocker Joe.



I did get a little punch to my heart watching the other grandparents, the locals, interacting with Eden.  It happened before I knew what was coming: a pang of regret that I moved away just as this little guy was getting ready to enter the world.  He knows his other grandparents much more consistently than he does me.  But oh, when I visit, he does know who I am and it makes me so very glad.

Drove home today and readied the house for the GF's visit.  I made salmon - in a crock pot - with baked yam and green beans (in the microwave).  All prepared in my little quasi-kitchen in my little apartment.  The first dinner I've cooked there.  Turned out to be very easy with the help of these two appliances.  You can make a lot in a slow cooker pot and a microwave oven.  The opposite ends of the cook time spectrum, they worked well in harmony.  If you're interested in how to cook salmon in a slow cooker, go here.

I'm sleepy and finally ready for bed.  A great couple of days, and my beloved is sawing logs in the next room.  Gracias a la vida!  Hope you have a fantastic weekend and eat some really delicious food, to boot!