Shunryu Suzuki: Study Yourself

Shunryu Suzuki: Study Yourself
The purpose of studying Buddhism is not to study Buddhism. It is to study ourselves.

Tuesday, June 05, 2012

What Next?

Written last night, "I'm sitting here trying to play it cool . Word has it that I get released tonight. 5 days in the hospital tracking down reasons for my mystery illness has really been too much for me. I'm tired and just want to sleep in my own bed tonight. I have witnessed countless sad stories in my various hospital rooms and wonder, once again, how anyone could be a nurse or doc in a large hospital. The stress is overwhelming. Word just in: I'll be out in an hour! Woo-hoo!"

I'm home, I'm tired, I'm extremely grateful for for the care I received and for the love of friends and family.  I have two doc appts. today to follow up on whatever this thing is.  Other than that, I am resting. Lying low.

How is it, in this day and age, that medical mysteries like mine can still go undiagnosed?  I know the medical field is fraught with problems and I know doctors are not "God," but jeez, why does my condition prove so elusive to everyone?

In the past month my world has become very small, all centered around this thing.  The lovely interludes of hiking and spending time with my sweetheart have been grand.  Now if this weird illness would just stop messing everything up.  What a way to begin a relationship, eh?  On the upside, she has been able to get to know my family quickly, and has earned their admiration for her good care of me.  And now I know that in a crisis she is a ROCK.  And she knows that, even in an ER I manage to find humor to lighten the mood.


So good to be home.  Dad is making me a soft boiled egg this morning.  What a relief - no more lousy hospital food.  Oh gawd but that was terrible stuff.

Namaste, everyone.