ramblings, photography, poems, queer agenda, politics, food, love and all the rest
Thursday, June 28, 2012
Snap Out of It!
This was posted on Facebook, which is where I picked it up. It may seem a harsh message (do we really need to call people 'cry babies?') but when I look around at the unmotivated youth in my life, I would like them to get this message loud and clear.
"You are important and you are needed." would be my principle message. Can't find a job? Volunteer. Living at home with your folks because you can't find work? Pay them back for all they have done for you, and self-motivate to help them with their house repairs, house and yard work and grocery shopping. Limit your computer and t.v. time -- your life is waiting for you! Make it happen.
Do you think this is a message that would resonate with young folks? Or are they likely just to say, "Fuck you." The only other thing I would add to the message, since we are in the U.S., is if you are at loose ends and the military doesn't appeal to you, seriously consider joining the Peace Corps. What a great opportunity to give help to those who really need it, and to stretch your own skills and cultural boundaries. Who knows? The experience may provide you with a career pathway for the rest of your life.
