Shunryu Suzuki: Study Yourself

Shunryu Suzuki: Study Yourself
The purpose of studying Buddhism is not to study Buddhism. It is to study ourselves.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

River Walk

Last night, after a great dinner at Michelangelo's, L. and I took a stroll along West Sacramento's River Walk.  Great evening to be out, with a breeze coming off the river, the sun low and glowing on the bridges and buildings.  Couples and families out, and of course a contingent of indigents, complete with an in-tact pit bull off his leash.  But I digress.

L. made this a mystery date; she said "bring your camera."  It was fun.  Had no idea where we were going, and this was the perfect spot.  Just look at that skyline.  She knew I'd have a blast taking in the sights and trying for some good shots of it all.


Looking back to the West Sac side, took pictures of the Ziggurat buidling, which I am sure has been photographed many many times over the years.  You can easily spy it driving west into the area.  That, and Tower Bridge, which was looking lovely yesterday in the warm evening glow of the sun.




This would also be a good walk with mom in her wheelchair, and we are actively looking for paved and accessible places to do just that.  Last weekend we went to the UCD Arboretum, which has paved trails perfect for our needs.  L. and I had gone there on a previous date, so I knew it would be a good place for mom.

Poor maligned Sacramento, it really does have some great things going for it.  I think we hit 3 of them last night:  Great Food.  Great Walk.  And then, for the 'cherry on top' we had ice cream at the venerable Gunther's, which is celebrating its 72nd year! 

Still a relative newbie to this city, I do get a fair amount of excitement from exploring it and eating at new restaurants.  I have out of town friends coming in the new future, and I can't wait to show them the Sacramento that I have become very fond of.  And of course introduce them to the woman I have become very fond of as well.  Goes without saying.

Life is good, brothers and sisters.