Still no diagnosis, but a lot of theories and each one a little more scary that the last. They transferred me to ICU for the night, and then yesterday transferred me to a regular bed after they were sure I was stabilized.
![]() |
| Sunrise over Sutter Hospital |
I must have been stable, because I was bored out of my mind, so I took pictures and played with my Photoforge2 editing program. With the foley removed, I was free to move about, which was a good thing. I had a roomie who kept the t.v. on all bloody night, watching every white-trash-red-neck television show that that she could find. There are, apparently, a lot of them in the wee hours. I tried headphones, earplugs, self-hypnosis, walking around the corridors, and finally, at 3 am I called for an ambien. That did the trick.
New Rules for Hospitals with shared rooms: ALL TVs AND LIGHTS OUT AT MIDNIGHT.
There was also the woman across the hall who screamed all night, and all day today. Later in the day they brought in a new patient, a man who croaked out obscenities and was calling to the poor screaming woman, "I'm coming darling! Don't you fret! Cough! Hack! Wheeze!" Which made the screaming woman just scream all the more.
Why can't all patients be as well-behaved as I? I asked myself, "Am I in an insane asylum or a general hospital?" Really! Don't these people know that sick people need peace and quiet?!
Still no diagnosis. I'm convinced I had an infection somewhere, as I was running a fever in addition to the other symptoms. When you have diabetes, unexplained high blood sugars are usually a result of infection. Just because they couldn't find one, doesn't mean I didn't have one. They loaded me up with IV antibiotics to appease me.
Now I am, thankfully, home again, in my own bed. Exhausted. I've tried to sleep but it eludes me. I'll try again. I thought maybe banging out this story would get it out of my head.
I am pleading with the universe (which hears me not) to make this the last time this happens. It is a medical mystery which I can add to my long list of personal medical mysteries. It makes for an amusing story -- the first time you hear it. After 10 times, not so much.
Here's to your health!
