![]() |
| print making day! |
Somebody recently asked me what kind of photography I do. I had a hard time answering that question. What kind of photography do I do?
In the beginning I was primarily inspired by Ansel Adams, Sonya Noskowiak, Edward Weston, Imogen Cunningham. All members of the f.64 group. The f.64 group of photography born in San Francisco as a reaction to the Pictorialism that preceded it. Pictorialism used a lot of soft focus, specialty lenses and props, and was a romantic view of the subject. The tenets of the f.64 movement,
also known as Straight or Pure Photography, were defined as being the elimination
of any "qualities of technique, composition or idea, derivative of any
other art form." In practice f.64 photographs are characterized by lack
of image manipulation, careful rendering of delicate tonalities and image details,
extreme depth of field, and the refusal to use softening filters or lenses. They also shot full-frame, no cropping, and so the eye had to get it right, compositionally, from the beginning.
When I first took photography classes I shot in black and white only. My eye developed this way, and I saw the world in terms of a black and white translation. When, after many years, I moved into color photography, I had to learn to see all over again. The intimidation of learning to develop and print color kept me in black and white a long time. Finally, a college course requirement moved me into color work. Now, that's mostly what I do.
My shooting style is essentially spontaneous. I know a lot of photographers who do beautiful landscape photography, plan their locations and shots meticulously and are brilliant technically, both with the camera and with editing/printing. I am not any of those kinds of photographer. For me,
- camera is used handheld
- photography is spontaneous
- I move around and work the subject from multiple angles
- I pay close attention to details when composing in the viewfinder because my goal is to create images which will be printed full frame, without any cropping
- my goal is to capture the "decisive instant", the moment when disparate human and non-human elements in the scene suddenly come together to form a coherent whole
- photography is spontaneous
- I move around and work the subject from multiple angles
- I pay close attention to details when composing in the viewfinder because my goal is to create images which will be printed full frame, without any cropping
- my goal is to capture the "decisive instant", the moment when disparate human and non-human elements in the scene suddenly come together to form a coherent whole
- I frequently take my camera with me during walks or when running errands, in case I see something that visually grabs my attention
- I don't (currently) have very many human subjects in my images
The question posed to me really opened up a long-dormant thought process about my photography. It was a great question, and has got me thinking and looking at my work. I've been pulling out images from the 1980s and seeing how different my subjects and style were back then.
I feel energized and inspired. There is a lot to say and write about, not to mention photograph. But I'll leave you with these quotes for now:
People don't watch enough. They think. It's not the same
thing.
Henri Cartier-Bresson
Henri Cartier-Bresson
Every man's work is always a portrait of himself.
Ansel Adams
Ansel Adams
To be able to really see, one must open not only one's eyes.
One must above all, open one's heart.
Gaston Rébuffat, French Alpinist
