Shunryu Suzuki: Study Yourself

Shunryu Suzuki: Study Yourself
The purpose of studying Buddhism is not to study Buddhism. It is to study ourselves.

Thursday, December 01, 2011

Leaves

I went out walking to see if I could photographically capture some of the leaf madness that is Sacramento at this time of year. Could I manage to be in the right place at the right time and shoot a storm of leaves if the wind whipped them up?

Alas, no, it didn't happen.

Funny, that, because the leaves are everywhere.  The wind today is at times ferocious, forcing me to turn my back to it to avoid being pelted with leaves, small branches and dirt.

The photo goddess did not smile upon me.

I wonder how many tons of leaves are collected off these streets each year? They are dutifully blown practically each day. The sound of leaf-blowers is everywhere, disturbing the peace. The leaves are corralled into piles along the curb, waiting for the city to come scoop them up with large, also noisy, trucks.

What would happen to us if the leaves were never cleaned up?  How high would the piles be?  Would it be like snow, banked up against the buildings?  Burying cars, streets and sidewalks?  Would roof-tops collapse under the weight?


The Community Garden
Garden's Resident Cat
Happy December!