Shunryu Suzuki: Study Yourself

Shunryu Suzuki: Study Yourself
The purpose of studying Buddhism is not to study Buddhism. It is to study ourselves.

Sunday, December 25, 2011

Christmas Past and Present

Today on Christmas I remember a couple of things: my dearest grandmother, Nadine, died on Christmas eve (years ago, now) after a bout with the flu. I loved her so very much, and her exit was quick and unexpected -- just how she wanted it. No lingering about for her.

I have this necklace now, and whenever I wear it I feel her close.

The other thing: my daughter's second Christmas on this earth was spent on the opposite coast from me: her father took her to visit his family, per our separation agreement. That was a hard one for me, to be away from my baby at all, much less on Christmas. I could have wallowed in self-pity, but instead hopped a plane for southern climes and joined my parents for an adult Christmas of fine food and bubbly.

This small child kept us in stitches.

This year, my daughter arrives tomorrow with her husband and son!  It all works out, it all comes back to center.

My nearest and dearest.

Blessings and good wishes to all my friends this Christmas!  Happy New Year!