Shunryu Suzuki: Study Yourself

Shunryu Suzuki: Study Yourself
The purpose of studying Buddhism is not to study Buddhism. It is to study ourselves.

Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween!

2011 Mount Airy, North Carolina
Regina got very creative with her jack-o-lantern...mine is just laughing at hers.  The kiddies will no doubt be here soon and we stopped at the dollar store to pick up more candy (what, oh what, will we do with the leftovers?).

We returned today from our trip to Asheville, a 2 hour plus drive through the incredibly beautiful Blue Ridge and Smokey mountains.  The fall color is spectacular; I've never seen anything like it other than in photos.  I didn't even attempt many photos of it, because I knew my iphone would not do it justice.  Here is one attempt, from Warren Wilson College:
North Carolina, WWC, 2011
The Smokey Mountains were indeed smokey.  Home to the largest black bear population in the eastern US, the mountains get their name from the fog that is typical for the area.  The fog was there as we drove through, but only a thin veil of mist.  The peaks of the range are very different from what I normally see in California, and it was grand to be traveling through territory I had not seen before.

Alas, my trip comes to an end soon, and I'll be winging my way home to Sacramento.  I'm more than satisfied by my choice of destination, spending time with old friends has been delightful.  They have been up to showing me around, seeing sights and making sure the sheets were clean and food was available.  How nice is that? I've kept the national news at bay for an entire week, and though I know there is a lot going on, I don't care right now.  I have visited museums, walked city streets and small town roads, gazed upon trees of every bright hue and slept in comfy beds heaped with hand-made quilts.  Life is good.