Sweet baby Jesus in diapers. Have you ever had a friend who is an incessant talker? What the heck are you supposed to do with them? I am researching, because I have a friend who is driving me crazy. Here's a link. And, confession time, I have to curb my own tendency to talk incessantly (say that five times fast - no, wait, that's counterproductive). I do have to be conscientious about making sure the conversation is two-way and not the Tara show. Some friends say I update my status too often on Face Book. Imagine. Well, I never.
I understand a lot of what the habit is all about: for me it's about wanting to feel heard, acknowledged, accepted. It is also because cognitively I understand something better when I can talk it out. It's also because I was raised in an isolation tank for the first 3 years of life.
That Friend, hereafter referred to as TF, turns a lot of people off because TF is so damn exhausting. TF is the butt of jokes. TF has a real problem, but nobody wants to hurt TF's feelings, so TF lives in ignorance. If you are wondering if you are that friend, you're not. That friend does not blog or even (gasp!) use Face Book. So I feel clean and clear writing about that friend, especially since I am not using any names. However, if you thought seriously that you might be who I was referring to, maybe you need to take a look at that.
In working this dilemma, I have tried various strategies, all with very temporary results. I'm getting to the end of my tether. This is someone I want to remain friends with.
Do you have one of these people in your life? How do you cope? I really would like to know!
