Shunryu Suzuki: Study Yourself

Shunryu Suzuki: Study Yourself
The purpose of studying Buddhism is not to study Buddhism. It is to study ourselves.

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Someday Soon



(Posted on YouTube: Willow comes into the picture around 4:29.)

Time is moving very slowly as we wait for the birth of my daughter’s son, Eden. Sleep eludes her now, as the baby grows ever larger, and he becomes animated when she lies down to sleep, perchance to dream. It’s the waiting time, the time to endure the most severe discomforts of pregnancy, and there can be many.

I wish I could give her the gift of sleep…but I cannot. That’s going to be a challenge for her for the next several months, unless her son is a sound sleeper from the get-go. Which is unlikely. I mean, how often does that happen?

We were watching birth videos last week in order to prepare for her own. We were holding hands and I was crying softly, in awe of the entire experience. I finally understood that, during labor, I could be strong for her. I would be positive and encouraging and calm. This realization was a break-through for me, as I have been feeling a bit panicked at the prospect of attending her labor.

A blessed peace has now come over me, with the help of her mid-wife, and her own good nature. This is really happening, and soon another young couple will welcome their child into this old world. That child just happens to be my grandson. Looking forward to meeting him very much.