| Who are these People? |
37 years ago, we were a group of precocious teenage free-thinkers who got together with some disgruntled, visionary teachers and petitioned the school board to let us form an alternative high school that would operate within the larger school. We asked for independent studies, for learning that was not tied to 1 hour 10 minute blocks of time, for learning experiences outside the classroom that earned us credit toward graduation.
Our teachers at the time were like super men (yes, all men) to us - they could do no wrong. They treated us with the respect that adults bestow upon other adults, but rarely upon teenagers. They talked with us about anything that was on our minds. They trusted us with their expensive photographic equipment and let us design our own curriculum. I was reminded of the one year when the yearbook adviser let the crazy hippies run with the production, and the jocks and cheerleaders (and their parents) were furious that so little page space had been given to football and other traditional sports. We did, however, have an insert of poetry, photography and drawing. Smile.
Hanging out with these folks yesterday, I was struck how familiar these people felt. Some I have seen from time to time over the years, some not at all. We've all been through the mill called life, but there is an essential self that remains intact. Because we were a small gathering, there was an opportunity for real sharing of stories. A time to talk and a time to listen, and to fully grasp the various twists and turns offered to each. Some of us have had more pain in our lives than should be endured by anyone...and we held a space in our circle yesterday for everyone to share their story.
I'm sure I will be 'processing' my feelings from this day for weeks to come. I witnessed joy and contentment, anxiety and despair, and everything in between. Many of us spoke about the belief that we just wouldn't live to be the ages we are now. We are of an age where decisions must be made: if we have parents still, how do we take care of them? If we have kids at home, how do we launch them into capable competent lives? When do we retire and when will we know when the time is right? I am the first in the group to be a grandma, but I'm sure others will follow in time. Our stereotypes about older people and 'grandmas' are being challenged as we are becoming those people.
My sister and drove the 190 miles home today, leaving the cool fog of the Monterey Peninsula for the heat of the Sacramento Valley. A great trip. And what a long, strange trip it's been.
Thank you, one and all.