I visited with a friend today. A friend I haven't seen in 33 years (give or take a couple). A friend who has been living on another continent for 16 years. A friend I found again on the Internet...Face Book of all things.
The passage of time is a very strange thing.
We ended up, in our very different lives, gravitating to similar spiritual quests and practices. We circled in and out of the same Zen Center, of all things (she much more than I). We had our children, we married our loves, we divorced, we were dealt physical blows that wrecked our bodies and changed us forever. All the stuff of human existence. Our paths did not cross again in all those years.
And there we were, today, sitting in a cool and peaceful living room on a hot summer afternoon in the California countryside.
I wish I could articulate something really profound about it -- because that's what I'm feeling. I just can't seem to put it into words. The concepts of time and space, and randomness and universality have me sitting back with a stunned deer-in-the-headlights look. My cup runneth over.
This I do know: I enjoyed myself immensely. I feel infinitely lucky. Life is amazing.