Shunryu Suzuki: Study Yourself

Shunryu Suzuki: Study Yourself
The purpose of studying Buddhism is not to study Buddhism. It is to study ourselves.

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Sac-o-tomatoes


A month from now I will be living in Sacramento, California, so I decided to do some research.  Found a great website with interesting Sac facts.  I have family who have been in Sacramento for 25 years, so I know it, somewhat.  I do know that the summers are bloody, stinking hot.  Hot, hot, I'm telling you.  (Keep repeating: "I'll adjust, I'll adjust".)  Summer evenings when the breeze blows in from the river, it's heavenly.  I'll have to remember that.

I have family who have lived in the Sierra foothills 40 miles from Sacramento for generations, so I remember when Sacramento was quite the provincial town.  (Heck, I remember the city of San Jose as a farming town, a town surrounded by fruit orchards.)  Sacramento has grown up over the past 30 years, has it's own gay district which has seen controversial culture clashes.  Located roughly around 20th and K streets, 'the heights' will be a distance from my eventual locale: T Street between 20th and 21st.  By the looks of it, the trolley runs parallel to 20th Street, giving me a straight shot (no pun intended) to my very own lavender landing.  Hmmm...that sounds like a good book title.  I claim it first!  Lavender Landing by TaraDharma.


In the great whoosh of life, I am being swiftly guided to the role of family care-giver for my parents, primarily my mother.  Last year I actually was hired by a home health care company and trained as a home care-giver.  Funny, that.

Sacramento will be the largest city I have ever lived in.  I'll be living near public transit, restaurants, museums, parks, and hopefully day spas.  I have friends in Sacramento that I've met while blogging (and in real life!), friends in nearby towns, and an hour or so away from two great wine regions both west and east of the city.  And still, a 90 mile drive from my beloved San Francisco.  Just like now.

Life. Just. Might. Be. Good.

Real. Good.