Shunryu Suzuki: Study Yourself

Shunryu Suzuki: Study Yourself
The purpose of studying Buddhism is not to study Buddhism. It is to study ourselves.

Monday, January 10, 2011

Remember Christina


   Christina Green
Sept. 11, 2001-  Jan. 8, 2011
In trying to make sense of it all, I've been reading a lot.  Not watching television, as they tend to repeat themselves, and the look of abject horror on their faces (or is it journalistic seriousness?) is unbearable.  In reading various blogs, I found an interesting post from 2007-- the comments being the most interesting part.

Whenever a tragic event galvanizes the nation, I have a tendency to think "this is the end, my friend."  I grasp for meaning to orient me, as I am hopelessly lost.  Whether or not violent rhetoric inspired the shooter, can we all conclude that political and social discourse must be elevated for the good of all?  Just think of the problems that could be solved if elected officials engaged in real dialogue instead of partisan politics and the next election cycle.  Once again, I come to the realization that publicly financed campaigns would go a long way in improving the climate.

Miss Green, had she not be killed, may have been a politically valuable citizen, a public leader -- her life's work was already headed in that direction.  Her short life began on the day when horrific acts of terror against our people spawned much of the current political climate. Her life may well have ended because of that climate, and how it influenced a sick mind.  There is a special place in hell for the murderer of innocents.

My hope is that this crazy shooting leads us all to a healing, rather than further polarization.  Hmmm...perhaps I will enjoin people to "remember Christina" when they start in on the trash talk.  Myself included.

P.S. I've just learned that the congresswoman's aide who was killed was Gabe Zimmerman, a graduate of my alma mater in Santa Cruz.  Small freakin' world.