Shunryu Suzuki: Study Yourself

Shunryu Suzuki: Study Yourself
The purpose of studying Buddhism is not to study Buddhism. It is to study ourselves.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Will You Pardon Me?


I've had a couple of friends on Face Book comment that they love reading my political posts, but they hate the way they feel afterward (kind of like overdoing chocolate ice cream, or tequila).  Makes me wonder if I'm abusing my FB power....should I only use FB for pleasant or witty cocktail information?  Or can open up a can of TRUTH on my FB friends every now and then (sometimes, lately, every day, all day)?

I have been known to be a wet blanket at social events....everyone's keeping it light and I want to rant about the government's slow response to AIDS.  That was the last time I was at a social event, so you know it was awhile ago.

I checked "FB 101" and I see all kinds of rules about not being rude, not unfriended people (just adjust your privacy settings, a-hem), but nowhere did I hear "don't talk politics or religion."  That was always the rule at my parents' dinner table.  Gripe about your job all you want (ad nauseam) , but please, no politics.