Shunryu Suzuki: Study Yourself

Shunryu Suzuki: Study Yourself
The purpose of studying Buddhism is not to study Buddhism. It is to study ourselves.

Sunday, September 05, 2010

Road Trip!

I'm happy. Can you tell? Road trips usually make me giddy, and this is a good one: driving up to see Roger and Robin, see Lynn, possibly stop in to see my sis if the timing is right. I'm headed to places I've never been before: Grass Valley and Downieville, CA. These are the boonies, boys and girls. Yes, California has boonies, and lots of them.

Driving Labor Day weekend is a bit nutty, I know, but I figure the traffic will be less on Sunday. Right? Yes?! If not, I will be one unhappy camper.

Lessee...got my cooler, my coffee making supplies (apparently I am the only person on the planet still drinking the stuff), my RXs, my own pillows, camera, all devices electronic to keep me in touch with the world, swim suit for those streams and lakes, and scant clothing because I expect it will be warm up there in the wilds of northeastern California. Got my ipod, that's a must for when decent radio is not to be found. We're spoiled locally with great radio, and I'm usually disappointed with the on-air offerings when I travel.

The Pièce de résistance is a batch of homemade tomato soup that I froze specifically for my friends (hence the cooler). We're going to eat well, drink wine, laugh our assess off. I'll finally get to see their new home, and all the work they've done to get the farming set-up complete before winter. I may even do some weeding or hoeing for them. Who knows? More power to 'em if they can get my lazy ass moving in service of their future gourmet meals.

Here's to clear roadways, beautiful vistas, glorious tunes and laissez le bon temps rouler!

P.S. Trip made possible by my dear sweet wife who will be holding down the fort and beating, er, feeding the animals for me.