Shunryu Suzuki: Study Yourself

Shunryu Suzuki: Study Yourself
The purpose of studying Buddhism is not to study Buddhism. It is to study ourselves.

Thursday, September 09, 2010

Lake Basin


Salmon Lake by Taradharma

There is a turning in the weather here. Hot days have turned into windy, cold ones; heralding autumn's arrival. This is beautiful country teeming with bird, mammal, fish and insect. While my friend bravely swam the lake from shore to shore and back, I sat on the gravel beach and watched what was going on all around me. There was a stiff wind, but if I was horizontal on the ground, I was warm. Along with the wind, there was also a profound stillness. I feel so very small in this landscape, and that's how I like to feel: insignificant speck that I am. It's a great paradox that feeling small expands my awareness to feel the connection with other living beings.

Think about the last time you were in such beauty. Go there now.