Shunryu Suzuki: Study Yourself

Shunryu Suzuki: Study Yourself
The purpose of studying Buddhism is not to study Buddhism. It is to study ourselves.

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Sunday

A rare sunny day.
I sat in the hot tub this morning, then sunned myself while watering the flowers... back and forth to the tub. We've had such a dirth of sun this summer, it feels positively fabulous on my skin.
Went to a second farmer's market this morning (I didn't get everything I wanted yesterday) and was treated to the music of Santa Cruz Swing while drinking my mocha. I found the most yummy white nectarines and lucious dark plums.

Live Oak Farmers Market 3.30.2010 from joe schirmer on Vimeo.

Came home and made another batch of tomato soup (for Roger and Robin) to freeze. Crushed a bunch-o-boxes that have been cluttering the garage, defrosted the tiny beverage frig, organized the pantry and tossed a few out-of-date canned goods. That's some old canned goods. How do they escape my attention? Something from 2007 still lurked in there....

Watched the heart-breaking interview on 60 minutes with the engineer from the Deep Water Horizon oil rig (re-run). He describes the stupid political and economic motivations behind the colossal environmental disaster that cost 11 men their lives.

All in all good day. I count my blessings. I have not just fallen 90 feet into burning water, wondering if I am dead or alive.