
I have to admit, I was never an avid fan of the Grateful Dead. I know ppppllllleeeeenty of folks who were, though. I recognize what a cultural force they were, and continue to be. My friends who were Dead Heads followed this group around in their VW buses, Volvo station wagons and Chevy Novas. Most, but not all, were also fans of LSD and marijuana. I went to one show at the Monterey County Fairgrounds in Watsonville, CA. It was fun, the music nice, but still, I didn't 'get it.' Oh well. Apologies to Annie.
UMass Amherst launched a course this fall entitled "How Does the Song Go? The Grateful Dead as a Window into American Culture," a class that uses the popular band as an analytical prism for society. Do you think any other bands/artists could be the basis of an entire course?
Well, Dylan without a doubt, Joni Mitchell, Leonard Cohen. The course at UMass provides a window into the political, cultural, historical ramifications of the times. I think it's a great 'hook' to bring 18 & 19 year olds into their education.