Shunryu Suzuki: Study Yourself

Shunryu Suzuki: Study Yourself
The purpose of studying Buddhism is not to study Buddhism. It is to study ourselves.

Saturday, July 14, 2007

Slimy Mallow


Prairie Mallow

Learn something new every day. I came across a haiku by George Crabbe, which got me wondering about 'slimy' mallow. Is mallow slimy?

"Medicinally, the mucilaginous quality of the Mallows may be used just like the unrelated Aloe vera or cactus: externally as an emollient for soothing sunburns and other inflamed skin conditions, or internally as a demulcent and expectorant for soothing sore throats." Read more.

Wow. I never knew this...and I've got them in my yard. Here's the hiaku:

Hardy and high, above the slender sheaf,

the slimy mallow waves her silken leaf.

Then again, there's Mallow, Ireland. Gosh, Tip O'Neill's family is from Mallow. And yes, our wonderful treat, the Marshmallow, originally was made with the mallow plant. Now gelatin is used.

What tidbits can you come up with on the mallow?