Shunryu Suzuki: Study Yourself

Shunryu Suzuki: Study Yourself
The purpose of studying Buddhism is not to study Buddhism. It is to study ourselves.

Monday, May 14, 2012

Leave it to Me

WTF?! 
On the very day my dad leaves for a week-long trip, I, now sole care taker of mom, end up in the emergency room.  But don't worry.  I. Have. Everything. Under. Control.

Except my blood sugar and blood pressure.  Oh, a severe dehydration.

I have no idea what the hell that all was about, but it was scary and inconvenient as hell. 

My niece said I was blue.  The nurse said, to another nurse, "Don't move this patient, don't do any tests until I resolve this critically low BP."  She was a great nurse.  She cracked the whip and she paid attention.  She was concerned, it was obvious, but she was also on top of the situation, and besides, I was too out of it to get very worked up about anything.  I was conscious and talking -- which amazed all of us.  Obviously it takes more than trauma to get me to shut up.

I just called my doc's office to get a follow-up appointment and have been told there are no appts. available for a few weeks out.  I explained the situation and the remedy is to call every morning at 7:45 to see if there are any cancellations on that day. I'd be upset by this except that I know my visit will tell me exactly nothing that I don't already know.  I'm not a cynic, I just know how these things go.  If you've read my blog for any length of time, you know that mysterious ailments befall me and nothing is ever learned from the diagnostics.

The upside to this particular episode is that my daughter and her family came up to help so I was able to spend Mother's Day with them.  And my friends came out of the woodwork for me, including a visit in the ER (always good to see a kind and loving face who knows you), and that same dear person made sure my mother had roses for Mother's Day since she knew that was my plan...before the bottom fell out.  Now, she is a thoughtful and totally righteous woman, there.

Here's the real modern twist to the story:  I sent out a  Facebook message and photo (above) to alert the masses that I was in the ER.  Imprudent?  Maybe.  But I was in an altered state.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.