Shunryu Suzuki: Study Yourself

Shunryu Suzuki: Study Yourself
The purpose of studying Buddhism is not to study Buddhism. It is to study ourselves.

Sunday, January 02, 2011

San Diego

Utility Building, San Diego

I was out walking the old neighborhood the other day, and was very intrigued with the light and shadow of this scene.  I took a few pictures, trying to get at the center of what it was I was seeing.  I still don't know what it is about it, except the play of darkness and light, the fact that it looks like a still shot from a horror movie.  Is a zombie about to come out from behind the door?  The tree?

That particular day was like a circus for my eyes -- every building, every tree, every street popped with visual possibilities and excitement.  That doesn't happen much any more, so when it does I am doubly grateful.  Another scene from this park, above is another dark shot:

Mission Hills Park, San Diego

I wasn't feel at all dark that day, and yet these images presented themselves to me.  I was feeling rather expansive...and yet here is the end of the journey, the place we will all go eventually.  Here is Mother, with all her life-giving energy, her long life filled with joy and sorrow, summarized by stone.

The park is next to my old elementary school; the park was once strictly a burial ground.  The city turned it into a park in 1970 and moved all the headstones.  So as you walk the lush lawn, over the gentle hillocks supporting old twisted trees, you are walking upon the bone and dust of your fellow beings.  Which we're probably doing all the time, given the number of us who have lived and died on this planet, but here, the awareness is acute.  Here lie the pioneers of San Diego, the founders, and the natives, and folks with surnames from the southern americas.  Now families stroll with their baby carriages, teenagers throw frisbees, gay couples walk their pampered pooches.

And the beat goes on....

More fun San Diego shots on Wordless Wednesdays over the next couple of months.