Here's the essay I submitted:
My wife and I were married in California in October 2008. It was the natural outcome of an 8-year committed relationship that involves two children. One of the happiest days of our lives, we are now under threat of having our marital rights revoked.
Did I mention that my wife and I are both women?
President Obama, as candidate, President Elect, and now President, has not sent a clear message regarding the legality of same-sex marriage rights for all Americans. There are many state-level and national organizations working on behalf of gay and lesbian couples to secure equal rights under federal law. Until then, we are living a 'dream deferred.' I understand the President's hesitation -- he will anger many if he takes the bold step that we want him to take, but to paraphrase what the President says on the economy, don't come to the table with tired and worn out ideas. There is no legal basis to deny same-sex couples marriage rights, only tired and worn out cultural taboos and semantic quibbling. Now is the time for bold action, Mr. President!
We would love to win a Flip video camera to chronicle our story, and what the future may hold for all Americans. I believe our perspective and interviews with community organizers who are working on this issue would add to the vigorous debate.
Our two children would love to particpate in the making of such a video: they are so hopeful that their family will be recognized in this way, and given the dignity and legitimacy that other families take for granted.
So, now, the work begins. And I'll upload the final product to the CBS News website. We'll see what happens after that.