Shunryu Suzuki: Study Yourself

Shunryu Suzuki: Study Yourself
The purpose of studying Buddhism is not to study Buddhism. It is to study ourselves.

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Going Slowly



Thanks to Michael Wheatley for this great photo. He really has some wonderful art to gaze upon. Georgeous and varied images. Slow is beautiful, indeed. I took yesterday off from work just to go slow. And I did.

Another way I go slow, is to visit Tassajara Zen Mountain Center in the summertime. This coming summer, I'm going with my older daughter and her 'uncles.' This time she and I are staying in the Yurt (below).
The yurt straddles the beautiful veg and flower garden, and the swimming pool. I take a good book or two and plant myself by the pool. The summer days there are exceptionally hot, so you swim, read, swim, read between meals. Ultimate slowness. It's wonderful. Last year my friend B. and I stayed in this cabin, with futons on the floor on top of tatame mats. Utilitarian and fairly comfortable.

So, this summer we go to celebrate older daughter's high school graduation. Wow. And it will be her first time there. I think she's going to like it alot. The days are too hot to enjoy the sulfur springs, but the evening and early morning are perfect for the baths, and sitting outdoors completely naked with the blue jays, oak, madrone and pine all around.